Harley Davidson Aermacchi Motorcycles 1961 to 1969
From 1961, the first year for the Sprints, to 1969, the code was as follows:
First, there are two digits for the year, then a letter for the model, followed by 5 numbers for that production cycle.
1962 250 H
- The Sprint models for those years were C, H & SS.
- The M series were M for the step-thru and for the sport either M or MS.
- The 125 Rapido was ML for 1968 and early 1969 street models.
- MLS is for the Enduros.
However between 1967 and 1969, the factory did not always stamp the year, so here is what to look for:
- The 1967 and 1968 250 have a round slide UB24 cable, with a single exhaust.
- The 1969 SS 350 have a square VHB27 cable and dual exhausts.
- On the 250 motors the ID number is in the front under the oil return tube. The 350 have their number on the left at the front.
- For the M series, the number on the right, just below the cylinder.
- The Rapido number is found on the right, but at the back of the motor.
- Sprint frame numbers are on the right side of the neck, on a vertical plate.
- On the small two strokes, the numbers are on a plate by the side stand and swing-arm.
- The larger and later two strokes are stamped on the neck.
1970 and Later Harley Davidson Aermacchi Motorcycles
In 1970 the US Federal Government instituted a new system. See the chart that follows:
First Two Digits
Next Five Digits
Second Last Digit
10000 and up
3F 10149 H5